This morning whiles snuggling my oldest daughter (3yrs) I asked her "What are you good at?'
She immediately started naming things like, "I'm good at putting my shoes one, "I'm good at saying 'Thank You' while trick-or-treating, I can get myself dressed, I am good at sharing my Frosty with my sister even though she didn't go the dentist, I'm SOOO Good at singing ect" The list went one. The thing is she was right. She was good at all of those things.
Then I started to think of things that i was good at. I had to THINK, it took some time. My first thought was, well I can throw together a quick meal with whatever is in the kitchen. Then i continued thinking, but it isn't always healthy, or look good, but it's food.
Being the incredible smart person I am , i noticed that with my GOOD THING i started to break it down to a NOT SO GOOD thing.
Why do we do that. Why when we are little we can easily make a huge list of things we are wonderful at, but by adulthood we are "aren't so good" When does this change happen? How can I prevent it with my own children. I want them to always know they are beautiful, they are smart, intelligent and hopefully still be humble.
Anyway, I thought I had better start right now owning what I am good at. Because truth be told i am good at alot of things, so I might as well OWN IT :)
Here is my list
1, I have great hair. It will take a curl and keep it all day
2. I can rope. Seriously, I can lasso a standing object
3. I'm funny. Honestly, i can make almost anyone laugh.
4. I'm good at gardening, and using items from my garden for meals.
5. I'm SOO GOOD at being positive. even when i am down, and i don't feel like I can handle things. Time on my knees in prayer, and maybe a nap will help me feel like I can do it again (I"ve used this alot in the last year and been SO thankful it)
6. I'm a good driver. (I can hear my sisters laughing at this very moment) But honestly, I've been many precarious driving situations and I've had the skills to drive on the safety.
7. I love my family. I have this need to touch base with each of them once a week. But most of my siblings and parents i contact more then that. I want us to stay close, and the only way to do that is call and talk to them
8. I am good dancer.
9. I'm good at accepting people how they are (except my family. i am always wanting them to be there better selves)
10. I've got a great smile :)
So what are you good at? Tell me, OWN IT. Make it yours! Love, Jo