Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Music Diary

Once upon a time in my life. I used to do a Mixed Tape/CD (Tapes are the items that existed before CD's. CD's are the things that stored music before .Mp3 players) for every year of my life. Just songs that weren't exactly from that year, but songs that were significant to me that year. I loved going back to listen to those mixes because they brought back, feelings, peoples, events, places, silly dances, and all sorts of things.


Music is pretty cool that way. Seriously, every time I hear, Nat King Cole Sing, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" I am immediately a child again, watching my Mother in the kitchen doing Holiday Baking. She loves Old School Christmas songs.

Anyway, my sister emailed me a Mix that I had made for her back in the day. It made me smile, I still liked all the songs, I just hadn't listened to many of those songs in years. I felt like the College Student in me reawakened, I felt refreshed, and like I had rediscovered a former self. Music can be a sort of a diary, it is for me anyway. I haven't made a mix of the year since I got married, So with this gentle reminder, I think I will start working on my MIX TAPE (or whatever you call them now) for 2009. What would you put on your mix tape?

Here it is the old mix my sister sent me...
1. Lighter Shade.... Sunday afternoon
2. Blind Melon......No Rain
3. G Love.... Yeah, its that easy
4. Sheryl Crow...Strong enough
5. Al Green...let's stay together
6. Ben Harper...walk away
7. Shaggy...keepn' it real
8. Bob Marley/Lauren Hill....Lights Down Low
9. Pau...nani
10. Fuel...shimmer
11. Indigo girls..galileo
12. Three Plus..honey baby
13. Ani defranco..Little plastic castle
14. Janes addiction....jane says (live)
15. Angie Stone...no more rain in this cloud
16. Diggable Planets...Cool like dat
17. TV THeme...Fat alburt
18. True color...hip hop mix
19 . lighter shade...Two of us

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Thanks for this little post.

It seems so easy to lose track of one's personal interests when taking on new family roles (wife, mother, etc.) and it's funny how things like music can immediately remind us that we are more than solely a [insert family role here].

Merry Christmas!!!

elesa said...

I LOVE the idea of a music diary. Nothing transports me back in time like music. I wish I had made a tape for every year in my life. Maybe I should start now?

Related Posts with Thumbnails