Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jingle Dress in progress

The week of the 20th there is a Pow Wow in our area. Joseph and I have been trying to design a dress for Yo'sea to wear to the Pow Wow.

Yo'sea  is of two tribes Yaqui and half Navajo. Since Pow Wow's are more a Plains Indian inspired gathering and adopted by  all other tribes.  I wanted to make her a dress that would represent the dance of her choice but still have Dashes of her Tribe to let others know who she is.

So this first pic, is a ROUGH draft of what we were going for with her dress. I am not a seamstress, So I was nervous.  I took wood shop and drafting in School, not Home Ec.  After I started sewing and cutting the material, I wish had more training in the later. 
So I am moving SLOWLY, but so far this is what we have. 
We are waiting on the Jingles to come in the mail. Joseph is beading Yo'sea a Pendant, and a Barret for her hair. She will wear her Navajo Sash Belt, and Navajo Moccasins. It is defiantly a work in progress, but so far I am very pleased. I appreciate Yo'sea pushing me to learn new skills, and work on developing others. Not only am I making her a Jiggle dress, but I'm also attempting a Bird Dance Dress. I'll have pics of the Bird Dance Dress soon, that wasn't as hard as the Jiggle dress. If you have an advice feel free to lay it on me! 

6 comments:

BBC said...

this looks so fabulous already! i can't wait to see the final product! i too wish i had learned some sewing skills as well!

Melissa P said...

I bet that will look pretty cool. Does she actually do a dance even though she is so little?

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

The dress is looking great! By the way, I added your blog to the list of blogs on my blog... hope you don't mind. :)

Crystal said...

so cute;) I made one for Chenoa last summer. I just got a simple dress pattern from walmart and made it out of some scrap fabric I found around the house. I had found child-size jingles at a pow wow like a year earlier and just held onto them...it turned out cute though:) i think the IDEA of it is harder than anything. Once you start going, you'll find it'll all come together! How fun though;) good luck w/ it. I think it looks cute so far!!

Kalley said...

Good for you. I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.

Joy said...

I love where you're headed with that dress. Simple and gorgeous. With the jangles? Seriously awesome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails