Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back to School

So after 8 yrs I'm back in College. Yep, I never finished up the first time around, so I decided why not try going back to school while married with two kids.  That has to be way easier then going to school while single and having no one else to worry about but myself. Right?

 Well so far so good, I'm caught up in all of my classes. I've only missed class, a few times once for stay up to late (11pm) partying with friends and the other because I was sick.  I guess I've matured a bit. (Shrug)

Anyway I decided to compile a list of things that are different this time around. Or things that stand out while going to school in my 30's verses 20's.


  1. Boys wear PURPLE. So back in my day... boys started wearing pastels and pink. But now, I see boys wearing Purple all over the place. Purple Pants, Purple socks, Purple hat even Purple Underpants (Yep I stared a bit).  I Seriously, had no idea Purple was so awesome for boys. I think I"M too cool for Purple and I'm a girl. Oh well.
  2. You can wear whatever you like to class. Seriously, I was a bit nervous about going back to school and not being "In Style" I have no idea why I was so worried, because you can honestly wear, ANYTHING to class. Anything means, you can spend ten years getting ready in the morning, with the latest style, make-up  and trends or you can roll out of bed, with cut off sweat pants, stained t-shirt and mangled hair. It really doesn't matter. 
  3. Books cost so @#$%^ much. Why?
  4. Being Married in College is so much easier.  Seriously, I had no idea how much I must of focused on "relationships" with the opposite sex when I was single. I totally, thought I was above it all.  But, I feel so much at ease with talking and smile at who ever I want and because I'm married I don't have to think about what they think of me, if they like me, If I like them. if they think i might like them. blah blah blah. 
  5. I'm a MOM college student. Yes, I'm the MOM student that has to slip in how awesome my kids are into every conversation. I would even love to take my kids to class to with me one day, just so people can see the "REAL" me. So much of who I am now is my husband and kids. I just feel like, if people just get to see me they are missing out on alot. 
  6. I actually like school. Yea, I still have the same complaints about having to regurgitate information in a way that will please my teacher. But I enjoy the learning process as well. Plus, It is fun to put on a different hat during the day instead of just Mom. 
  7. School Spirit. I still don't get it. I mean I enjoy the school, I'll cheer for them if I go to a game. But this dressing in school colors, Repin a school backpack, school pen, school notebook, school folders ect. I just don't get it. Need to belong to something maybe? (shrug)
  8. Free parking is in Antarctica. Seriously, just because i'm cheap doesn't mean i should have to walk a mile to get to class.
  9. Old couple that go around wearing Kilts in the hallway.Who are you?
  10. I would never have been able to pass Philosophy with out the help of Joseph. Seriously, after he reads the book, and then talks me though it THEN i'm able to write a paper on it. That's not cheating right?
  11. I'm in bed at 10pm every night and I have a 7 am classes that I make it to ON TIME. 
There are alot of other things that are different or need adjusting while in school for the second time. I"m just thankful for the opportunity, and I appreciate my little girls being so patient when there Mom is gone on Mon, wed, and Fridays. We'll see how the rest of this semester goes. But like I said So far So good. :) 

7 comments:

Josh and Tawnya Begay said...

School is cool..especially for MOMS!! Wish you the best in your endeavors and hope you can pass all your classes with A's... esp with your 12+ credit hours!!

elesa said...

So is Joseph with the kids while you are in school, or do you have a babysitter? I never graduated either and have tried to figure out how to make it work. One of these days it will be my turn!

Crystal said...

That's great Jo! You are setting an amazing example for your kids. They will look at pics of you in you college cap and gown and plan right then and there to follow suit. I agree, school is something I would have been better at as a married person, but I doubt I would be able to juggle it as well as you. I think I needed to finish before starting a family. Good luck with everything!!

Maleina said...

I often think I would be a much better student now then I ever was then! You go!

Tammy said...

I am with you on everything Jo! I am going back to school too and it is really different. I think my focus has changed and it makes it so much easier in school.

Nakki said...

I still think I'd make a horrible student...prob even worse if I had kids. I'm pretty sure I'll never have a Masters...and I'm perfectly ok with that. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails